>> Home >> Services >> USDOT Number Registration
Register for a USDOT Number Online

Commercial motor vehicles weighing more than 10,000 pounds that operate in interstate commerce are required to be marked with a unique, identifying number issued to the motor carrier by the Federal Department of Transportation. Only one number per company is required. Thirty-two of the fifty states have adopted the DOT Number requirement insofar as intrastate operations (point-to-point within these states) is concerned. is a private, third-party provider offering services for a $300 fee. This is a commercial solicitation and advertisement. is NOT affiliated with any government authority.

(888) 414-1874

Or, click here if you will always stay within your state.

Or, click here if you will ever travel from state-to-state.

Includes Free Copy of Our Safety Audit Survival Presentation upon request.



1. What is a USDOT Number?

USDOT Numbers are used by the USDOT to monitor a company or independent owner-operator's safety management practices and controls. They serve as unique identifiers when the USDOT collects data and reviews a company's compliance during safety audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and roadside inspections.

2. Who needs a USDOT Number?

1. Companies that operate commercial motor vehicles that transport passengers or haul cargo across state lines must be registered with the USDOT and must have and display an "Interstate USDOT Number" on their vehicles.

2. Companies operating within PRISM states (as of 2008, all states except Maryland, Michigan & Nevada) must have an "Intrastate USDOT Number" unless they have secured state-issued operating authority.

3. Companies that transport hazardous materials within their state, in quantities requiring a safety permit, must also register for a USDOT Number.

4. In select states (see states listed below*), all registrants of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate and non-Motor Carrier registrants, are required to obtain a "Registrant USDOT Number" as a necessary condition for commercial vehicle registration.

*Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

Companies operating exclusively as property ("freight") brokers or and freight forwarders do not need to obtain a USDOT Number. Brokers arranging for transportation across state lines must obtain a property broker license evidenced by an MC Number. Freight forwarders must obtain authority and are issued FF Numbers. Non-hazmat shippers do not need a regulatory number.

3. How do I get a USDOT Number?

You may secure a USDOT Number online through this website for $300. Click the appropriate link below to start the application process...


Click Here if you will always stay within your state.

Click Here if you will ever travel from state-to-state.

4. What happens after I get a USDOT Number?

1. You will be enrolled in the New Entrant Program. Effective January 1, 2003, all first-time carrier applicants for a USDOT Number are automatically enrolled in the USDOT's New Entrant Safety Assurance Program. This program requires new entrants to pass a safety audit within 90 days and maintain acceptable roadside safety performance over an initial 18-month probationary period before they are given permanent registration status. You may sign up for the Carrier Assistance Plan ("CAP") to help prepare for your Mandatory Safety Audit and pass your probation.

2. You will need to comply with IFTA & IRP if you operate vehicles over 26,000 lbs. You may also need HUT, KYU and permits from NM and/or OR. Click the link above or cll our tax office at (800) 450-7516.

3. You will need a SCAC Code if you operate internationally or receive EDI payments from government and other shippers. Click on the link above or call (888) 414-1874 to get a SCAC Code for your company.

4. You will need to Renew UCR annually.

5. You will need to submit a Biennial Report every 24 months.





REFUND POLICY: Once you submit an order

Copyright 2001-2011, Inc. All Rights Reserved. is a consulting firm. It is not the Department of Transportation. Terms & Conditions